You might wonder, ``Why is it that everywhere I look in the Perl culture, I see camels?''
The answer is that when Larry had to choose an animal for the cover of his book, the camel was one of the few available -- which was just fine, as he rather likes the beast. But beyond that, it has many interesting connotations.
For example, there are the classic Biblical quotes about camels: *Matthew 19:24 and *Matthew 23:24 being perhaps the best known. However, *Zechariah 14:15 would also seem to have promise. I haven't figured out *Genesis 24:64 yet, though. :-)
Then of course there's the matter of a camel being really funny looking and awkward when you first meet it, but you'd never want to get stuck in the desert without this marvelously versatile and patient creature.
Here are some other quotes involving camels:
- The camel has a single hump;
- The dromedary two;
- Or else the other way around.
- I'm never sure. Are you?
- --Ogden Nash
- If a camel flies, no one laughs if it doesn't get very far.
- --Paul White
- If a camel is a horse designed by a committee, then a consensus forecast is a camel's behind.
- --Edgar R. Fiedler
- No committee could ever come up with anything as revolutionary as a camel -- anything as practical and as perfectly designed to perform effectively under such difficult conditions.
- --Laurence J. Peter
Other camelid lore is welcome!